The MACA Young Leader Scholarship Program (YLSP) is designed to expose future agriculturalists to the crop protection industry and future career opportunities. Recipients will benefit from exposure and networking with MACA members for potential job opportunities as well as financial compensation. MACA members benefit by developing a talent pool of future industry leaders and through the heightened awareness of MACA within the participating universities.
Candidates will be top-potential collegiate sophomores or juniors with an educational focus on agriculture. Candidates must be enrolled at one of the 14 Land-Grant Universities and have secured a summer internship within agriculture, preferably within the crop protection industry. Additionally, the selected recipient is expected to attend the MACA Annual Meeting,
September 6-8, 2022 in St. Louis, MO to participate and network with MACA members and to develop a deeper understanding of the crop protection industry.
- Must have completed at least 60 credit hours by December 2021 with an educational focus on agriculture.
- Must have secured a summer internship (2022) within agriculture, preferably within the crop protection industry.
MACA will notify the 14 universities via email announcing the program and explaining the goals. Then a MACA representative will follow-up with each school for help identifying candidates, encouraging participation and to raise awareness for the program. Each respective university will create a “committee” to review the applications submitted from qualifying students and then submit up to three applications to MACA for review. Once the applications are submitted to MACA, the Industry Communications committee will review the applications and select one recipient for a $2,000 scholarship to be awarded to each student via the university. (MACA will work with the universities to ensure the funding is provided to the student’s account.) The decisions by MACA are final. Previous winners are not eligible. Winners will be notified in Feb/March.
Participating Universities (14)
- Colorado State University
- Iowa State University
- Kansas State University
- Michigan State University
- North Dakota State University
- Purdue University
- South Dakota State University
- Southern Illinois University – Carbondale
- The Ohio State University
- University of Illinois
- University of Minnesota
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- University of Wisconsin
2021 Young Leader Scholarship Program Winners
- Colorado State University– Micaela Fenton
- Southern Illinois University – Carbondale – Taylor Hartke
- Purdue University – Laura Flandermeyer
- Iowa State University – James Chism
- Kansas State University – Jenika Hazelbaker
- University of Minnesota – Amelia Hayden
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln – Kyle Schumacher
- North Dakota State University – Forrest Hanson
- The Ohio State University– Tyler Zimpfer
- South Dakota State University – Dalton Howe
- University of Wisconsin – Madison – Tanner Oyen
- Brief description stating what and where their summer internship will be and what are the main responsibilities
- Application Letter/Essay – 500 words or less stating why they believe they are worthy of this opportunity
- “Unofficial” Transcript
General Program Requirements
- GPA – Must have a 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA while enrolled in college.
- Supply a completed application, updated resume and unofficial transcript by noon, January 31, 2022 to MACA.
- MACA Annual Meeting – Scholarship recipient must be available to attend the MACA Annual Meeting, September 6-8, 2022 in St. Louis, MO (Travel and lodging expenses reimbursed by MACA.)
- Attend online presentations from MACA members to learn about MACA and for career and professional development. One virtual presentation per month from March – August.
Presentations – Give two presentations on campus to be completed once you have attended the MACA Annual Meeting and before January 1, 2023. PowerPoint presentations, video clips, and handouts will be provided to you for the presentations. These presentations are meant to get more exposure for MACA, the Young Leaders Scholarship Program, and the overall Agricultural Industry
- $2,000 cash scholarship to be provided to the respective University for the scholarship recipient selected;
- Travel stipend to attend MACA Annual Meeting;
- Opportunity to be on YLSP panel at the MACA Annual Meeting; and
- Participate in program and networking with MACA members at Annual Meeting; and
- Have MACA member mentors/hosts.
- Must attend MACA Annual Meeting on September 6-8, 2022 in St. Louis, MO. (MACA will pay for all expenses related to attending the meeting.)
- End of January – nominations from universities due to MACA office.
- Mid-February – MACA committee to select recipients.
- Early March – Notify Universities of the recipients selected for scholarship and work with university officials to notify the recipients.
- March – August – Online meetings learning about MACA and career and professional development.
- Mid-April – Issue news release announcing scholarship recipients.
- July – Contact recipients regarding MACA Annual Meeting to coordinate travel plans and meeting details.
- MACA Annual Meeting, September 6-8, 2022 in St. Louis, MO – Attendance is required. (MACA will pay for all expenses related to attending the meeting.)
If you have any questions about the program or require more information, please send an email to [email protected].
2022 application process is now open. Please fill out the form below to apply.